In this article, I’m going to teach you all about using kratom for pain relief. I’ve now been studying and promoting the kratom plant for three years for things like opiate withdrawal, pain relief, depression, PTSD, and other physical and mental health issues.
I’ve even used kratom a number of times to feel the effects and thus be able to have a more intimate relationship with the plant, and thus have a deeper knowledge and wisdom of how it affects the mind and body.
I’ve written a few free publications on kratom (including my ebook The Kratom Playbook For Opiate Recovery), but this is the first time I’m doing an article all about using kratom for pain relief.
Why now all of a sudden?
My long-time and close friend, a 40-year-old female with chronic pain and other health issues who is a single mom to a 9-year-old boy, just visited me in Oahu for a vacation.
Let’s call her Jenny, even though that’s not her real name.
I completely changed her life by giving her some kratom for her chronic back pain and fatigue, and I want to share her results, and teach you how to use kratom for pain relief in the process. (She gave me enthusiastic permission to write about her story but wanted me to use a fake name)
So, without further ado, here is how Jenny eliminated her pain and fatigue in less than one hour…
Table of Contents
- 1 Kratom For Pain Relief – Jenny’s Chronic Pain Story
- 2 Kratom and BulletProof Coffee – Miracle Combo?
- 3 Kratom For Pain Relief – How Jenny’s Life Changed
- 4 Kratom For Pain Relief – How it Works
- 5 Kratom For Pain Relief – Risks and Effects
- 6 Best Kratom Strains For Pain Relief
- 7 Where to Buy Kratom For Pain Relief Online
- 8 How To Use Kratom For Pain Relief
- 9 Update From Jenny After a Week on Kratom and Bulletproof Coffee
- 10 Kratom For Pain Relief – Final Thoughts
Kratom For Pain Relief – Jenny’s Chronic Pain Story
To make a long story short, I’ll just say that Jenny has been suffering from chronic neck pain and chronic back pain for many years. In addition, the pain also hits her so hard that it totally wipes out all of her energy.
She is fatigued all the time, and as you can imagine, having chronic pain as well as fatigue makes it difficult to be a single mom and hold down a job as well.
A few years ago, she was no longer able to work.
The pain and fatigue became so bad that she would have to call into work all the time and take the day off. I’ve been Jenny’s close friend for six years, and our kids are the best of friends. Her son is 9 and my daughter is 8.
Jenny finally got surgery on her neck last year, and that took away her neck pain. Unfortunately, she thought that would also cure her back pain, but she was wrong.
Now her back pain is worse than ever, as is her fatigue, but the doctors say it’s still not bad enough for them to do surgery. She is on public assistance and get’s food stamps, and her parents, fortunately, have been helping to pay some of her rent for over a year, but they are going to discontinue their help with money in three months.
She told me she was very stressed out because she didn’t know where she was going to live in three months once she will no longer be able to afford her rent.
And since her chronic pain and mental issues caused by it and the medication side effects have caused her physical and mental health to decline, she also told me she didn’t know how she could ever work to make money.
When Jenny and her son came to visit me in beautiful Oahu, Hawaii to celebrate her 40th birthday and for a much-needed vacation, it was so hard for me to see her in the condition she was in.
The first night she was at my house, they spent the night, then woke up early the next morning to go swim with sharks on the North Shore of Oahu.
When they came back, she was in so much pain, and she was so fatigued she had to lay down on my couch and it looked like she would not be able to enjoy much of her trip.
She is prescribed Norco and Percocet and takes them for the pain, but she says it gives her horrible side effects and doesn’t even help the pain that much and does nothing at all for her chronic fatigue. She also stated that’s she’s on several more medications to combat the side effects she gets from these RX opiate painkillers.
Kratom and BulletProof Coffee – Miracle Combo?
When I saw how much pain and exhaustion Jenny had, I wanted badly to help. I offered her some kratom and said it should help with her pain and her fatigue as well. She stated she had tried kratom once years in the past, but she didn’t know how much to use, and thus only used a tiny amount which did nothing for her pain.
I told her that I was very knowledgeable about using kratom for pain relief safely, and could provide her with the perfect strain and dosage to help with her back pain and fatigue.
She agreed and trusted me, and said she would do just about anything to feel better.
“GREAT!” I said.
And then proceeded to give Jenny a large glass of water and 12 capsules of White Vein Kratom, which was around 6 grams of kratom, since each capsule contained approximately 500 mg of kratom powder.
After she swallowed all 12 kratom capsules for pain relief, I made Jenny a 12-ounce cup of Bulletproof Coffee, which is my new FAVORITE thing in the world…by far.
The Bulletproof coffee recipe contains the following ingredients:
- 8-16 ounces of Bulletproof Coffee
- 1-2 tablespoons grass-fed unsalted butter
- 1 tablespoon Bulletproof Brain Octane Oil
I made her coffee with my French press, then added the coffee, grass-fed butter, and Brain Octane Oil to a blender and blended it together for about 25 seconds.
Then I handed it to her.
She stated that it tasted DELICIOUS!!!
Of course, it did! It had 2 tablespoons of yummy butter in it and the Brain Octane Oil was also very high in healthy fat.
I won’t go deep into the details here because that’s another article I’m going to do in the future. However, I will quote the Bulletproof blog directly on some of the top benefits of this coffee recipe.
Top Benefits of this Bulletproof Coffee recipe:
- Steady Lasting Energy – The saturated fat in grass-fed butter slows the absorption of caffeine, which gives you even energy for several hours instead of a caffeine spike and crash. No jitters, either.
- Mental Clarity – Brain Octane rapidly converts to ketones, a type of molecule that your brain uses more efficiently than carbs or sugar. Pair ketones with the slowly releasing caffeine and you can literally feel your brain turning on.
- A Sharper Brain – Bioflavonoids in coffee can actually make you smarter by intensifying neuronal firing in the brain. This means your brain cells will communicate faster so thoughts come more quickly and you’ll have better recall. Coffee can also protect your brain as you age.
- A Happier Outlook – There’s some evidence that a couple cups of coffee a day can improve your mood and sense of alertness.
- Better Physical Performance and Less Fat – Caffeine can boost your physical endurance so your workouts seem easier. The caffeine in coffee can also raise your metabolism to help you burn fat.
I started drinking this Bulletproof Coffee recipe a week before Jenny came to visit me and it had already totally changed my life!
I experienced all of the benefits mentioned above after my first cup. Now with all my family and friends, I RANT and RAVE about how much I love it and how much it has helped me feel more energized and healthy, both physically and mentally.
Kratom For Pain Relief – How Jenny’s Life Changed
Within about 45 minutes of taking kratom, Jenny said that her pain went from an 8 out of 10 to a 1. Additionally, I saw her eyes wide open and it looked like her exhaustion was also gone. So I asked her about her energy.
She stated that she had ENERGY.
Now I assume that was a combination of the kratom (since white vein kratom is both painkilling and energizing/mood-enhancing) and the Bulletproof Coffee.
To make a long story short, I won’t go into all the details but here is what happened for the next three days while Jenny continued to take 12 capsules of White Kratom 2-3x a day with 12 ounces of Bulletproof Coffee in the morning and again early in the afternoon.
Here are some benefits Jenny reported and that I saw with my own eyes:
- No More Pain!
- No More Fatigue!
- No More Depression!
- Positive Mood!
- Lots of Energy!
- Enjoyment of Life!
On her last day visiting me, she thanked me from the bottom of her heart for introducing her to using kratom for pain relief and energy and said she was going to buy her own and continue using it. I made sure she had enough kratom capsules to take on the plane and for the next couple of days until her order arrived in the mail.
The next morning, she texted me from California and said she had ordered kratom and also the ingredients to make Bulletproof Coffee.
Kratom For Pain Relief – How it Works
At this point, you may have already researched kratom before and knows why it helps with pain so much. Or, you may not have a clue on why using kratom for pain relief is so effective. In this section, I’m going to provide you with information on how kratom for pain relief works.
Kratom (Mitragyna speciosa) is an evergreen tree native to Southeast Asia and is a member of the coffee family. Currently, kratom is not regulated by the Drug Enforcement Agency (DEA) in the United States (making it legal).
However, some states have passed laws banning kratom, and it seems like more and more states are banning it or trying to ban it lately, and the FDA is also trying to do so, but so far they haven’t been successful.
Despite common misconception, Kratom is not an opiate.
For something to be classified as an opiate, it has to be derived from the opium poppy plant. Kratom, simply put, is a partial opioid agonist. This means that it’s not derived from opium, though it does bind to opioid receptors.
And in the case of kratom, it’s a natural plant that acts as an opioid agonist (opposite of “synthetic agonist” which means “manmade”).
Once a person takes a dose of kratom, it binds to the same opioid receptors in the brain, spinal cord, intestines, and other parts of the body that opiates bind to, and as a result, leads to effects which feel very similar (though not identical) to opiate drugs, though kratom effects are also much milder.
Mitragynine, the major alkaloid in kratom, is a partial opioid agonist producing similar effects to morphine. An interesting minor alkaloid of kratom, 7-hyrdoxymitragynine, has been reported to be more potent than morphine.
Both kratom alkaloids activate supraspinal mu- and delta- opioid receptors, which is the main reason the plant alleviates pain and opiate withdrawal symptoms/cravings so well.
To sum things up, kratom is not an opiate, however, it binds to the same opioid receptors that opiate drugs bind to. Thus, kratom is a legal plant that can be used as a natural pain relief alternative to prescription or illicit opiates.
Additionally, research scientists have concluded that kratom doesn’t cause the respiratory depression effects that traditional opiates and opioids cause, which mean it’s much, much safer.
Kratom For Pain Relief – Risks and Effects
Kratom can make you feel good and anything that has this effect can be habit-forming. For those that have chronic pain, they are totally fine with being dependent on kratom as it really helps them feel better.
Kratom can also cause physiological dependence after prolonged daily use. When this happens, if you stop taking kratom for pain relief abruptly you may experience withdrawal symptoms such as fatigue, irritability, etc. You can avoid these symptoms by tapering off kratom.
Kratom effects include the following:
- Pain Relief
- Mental Stimulation
- Relaxation (Physical and Mental)
Best Kratom Strains For Pain Relief
Due to kratom’s action on the opioid receptors, it’s extremely effective at providing pain relief. Additionally, kratom also has active alkaloids in it that act as muscle relaxers and anti-inflammatories, which can also significantly reduce or even completely eliminate pain and/or muscle tension.
My favorite kratom strains for pain relief include:
- Classic Red Bali
- White Bali
- Borneo (Red and White)
- Red Maeng Da
- Kali Super Green
- Yellow Indo
Kratom Strains and Dosage Effects
The kratom effects vary depending on the strain and dosage used. For instance, lower dosages in the 2-5 gram range could produce stimulating effects with some pain relief, while higher dosages of 6-10 grams or more can lead to much more pain relief with less stimulating effects.
Furthermore, the red kratom strains tend to be the most sedating, while the white strains are typically more stimulating. The green strains are typically not as stimulating as white strains, and not as sedating as red ones, and fall somewhere in the middle of the two.
Dosage has been a key factor for those looking for specific effects. By dosing too low, the medicinal capabilities are nulled, while dosing too high can often lead to relatively harmless, but potentially unpleasant side-effects, such as the “wobbles” and minor nausea. To learn about kratom dosages, refer below.
Average dosage by grams:
- Mild – 1 to 2 grams (.5 to .9 tsp)
- Moderate – 2-4.5 grams (1 to 2 tsp)
- High – 4.5 – 8 grams (2 to 3.5 tsp)
More Science Behind Kratom Pain Relief and Other Benefits
In addition to this large range of medicinal applications, kratom also has other positive secondary properties such as high-antioxidant and vitamin content, which has made it worthwhile for general health purposes as well. The following info was found in The Kratom Bible: A Complete Guide to Kratom.
Here is a list of the 28 identified active alkaloids present in kratom:
- 7-hydroxymitragynine – Analgesic/painkiller (opioid receptor agonist), antidiarrheal, antitussive – 1.5 – 2.5%
- Mitragynine – Analgesic/painkiller (opioid receptor agonist), antidiarrheal, antitussive, adrenergic receptor agonist (a mild stimulant), antimalarial – 40 – 75% [Lowest recorded content: 12%]
- Speciogynine – Smooth Muscle Relaxer – 6.5 – 7.2%
- Mitraphylline – Muscle relaxer, vasodilator, anti-hypertensive, anti-amnesic, immune system stimulant, anti-leukemic – less than 1%
- Epicatechin (EGC) – Antioxidant, antiviral, anti-mutagenic, anti-leukemic, anti-inflammatory, anti-diabetic. Commonly found in green tea. – 1%
- 9-Hydroxycorynantheidine – Painkiller/analgesic – 1%
- Corynantheidine – Mu opioid Antagonist – less than 1%
- Isomitraphylline – Immune System Stimulant – less than 1%
- Isomitrafoline – Immune System Stimulant – less than 1%
- Isorhynchophylline – Immune System Stimulant – less than 1%
- Isopteropodine – Immune System Stimulant – less than 1%
- Ciliaphylline – Analgesic, antitussive – less than 1%
- Corynoxine A – Dopamine Mediator – less than 1%
- Corynoxine B – Dopamine Mediator – less than 1%
- Ajmalicine – Sedative (Anti-Adrenergic), increase blood flow to the brain, smooth muscle relaxer – less than 1%
- Rhynchophylline – Anti-inflammatory, vasodilator, anti-hypertensive – less than 1%
- Speciociliatine – Mild opioid receptor agonist – less than 1%
- Speciophylline – Anti-leukemic – less than 1%
- Tetrahydroalstonine – Anti-adrenergic, lowers blood sugar – less than 1%
- Akuammigine – inactive – less than 1%
- Mitrafoline – inactive – less than 1%
- Mitraversine – inactive – less than 1%
- Speciofoline – inactive – less than 1%
- Stipulatine – inactive – less than 1%
Where to Buy Kratom For Pain Relief Online
These days there are plenty of online kratom vendors to choose from. However, all kratom vendors are not created equal. I’ve tried many kratom vendors that had low-quality kratom where the kratom either had weak effects, or it made me sick, or both.
After trying several online kratom vendors, I finally found one that I could do permanent business with. My favorite online kratom vendor is TopExtracts.com. I highly recommend and endorse this company as it has premium kratom that is pure, high-quality, and priced to sell.
You can read my full Top Extracts Review to learn more and also get a coupon code to save 15% off your first purchase.
How To Use Kratom For Pain Relief
At this point, you may be wondering what the best way is to use kratom for pain relief. It’s actually quite simple. In the bullet-point section below, I’ll provide you with instructions on how to use kratom for pain relief in a safe way.
How To Use Kratom For Pain Relief:
- Step 1: Purchase Kratom – I recommend TopExtracts.com as I’ve tried it and many others, and it’s the highest quality I’ve found with the best customer service. They have kratom powder, kratom capsules, kratom resin, and kratom extract.
- Step 2: Start Low – Take 3 grams of kratom powder or six kratom capsules for your first dosage and take it on an empty stomach or with a very small amount of food. If taking a powder, you can mix it with water or another beverage.
- Step 3: Find a Perfect Dose – Wait an hour and if it doesn’t take away your pain and doesn’t have any adverse effects, take 3 more grams of kratom powder or 6 more kratom capsules. Most people do well taking anywhere from 3-8 grams of kratom powder or 6-16 kratom capsules for pain relief.
- Step 4: Take Kratom for Pain Relief – You can use kratom for pain anywhere from 1-5 times a day. Most people with chronic pain syndromes use it around 1-3 times a day for pain relief.
After you’ve tried using kratom capsules or kratom powder for pain relief, you can decide on whether or not you want to try kratom resin or kratom extract, which are stronger, concentrated kratom formulations.
Update From Jenny After a Week on Kratom and Bulletproof Coffee
I just got a text from Jenny this morning now one week after her using kratom for natural pain relief and energy – and Bulletproof Coffee for all of its amazing mental and physical health benefits.
Here is our series of text communications between us, which led to me creating this article!
Isn’t that an inspiring story of using kratom for pain relief and MUCH MORE?! The Bulletproof Coffee no doubt is also helping, but this kratom plant for pain relief and mental well-being without all the side effects of synthetic drugs is truly a great thing for Jenny.
Here is a picture I took of Jenny at the famous Waikiki Beach after a few days of her using kratom for pain relief/energy/mood – and Bulletproof Coffee for all of its amazing benefits – which likely synergized with the kratom benefits.
She said I could use this pic but asked that I crop out her son. No problem!
Kratom For Pain Relief – Final Thoughts
Millions of patients continue to require opioid analgesics for control of moderate to severe chronic pain, which is a disease that affects more Americans than cancer, heart disease, and diabetes combined. Using kratom for pain relief is a natural treatment that many people have switched over to.
Many kratom users report they get significant pain relief benefits and prefer taking a natural plant over pharmaceutical drugs.
Again, I would like to restate that daily kratom use can be habit-forming and you can get a dependence to kratom as well, meaning you will have withdrawal symptoms if you stop taking it abruptly after a physiological dependence has been established.
You can prevent withdrawal symptoms by tapering off kratom or by using opioid withdrawal remedies. The DEA and FDA are both on a mission to make kratom illegal, but that might not ever happen as kratom has many passionate supporters including politicians, scientists, and non-profit organizations fighting for it to remain legal.
If kratom becomes illegal, that means that individuals using kratom for chronic pain will be in a difficult position. The Centers for Disease Control (CDC) released new opioid-prescribing guidelines not long ago in response to the opioid epidemic addiction and overdose death statistics.
A superabundance of chronic pain patients emailed me and stated their doctors immediately cut their opioid daily dosage in half without even tapering them down to the lower dosage, putting many patients into withdrawal.
If kratom does become illegal, millions of people currently using kratom will need to find other solutions for their pain or issues they are taking it for.
I try not to think about that because it’s just too sad, especially after seeing kratom help so many opiate addicts – and most recently – my friend Jenny for her pain/fatigue – in such profound and measurable ways.
If you want to join me and at least tens of thousands of other people that are doing what they can to help keep kratom legal, you can visit the American Kratom Association website to learn about the many ways in which you can make a big difference.
If you have any comments or questions on the use of kratom for pain relief, please post them in the comment box below.