In this article, I’m going to teach you how to quit heroin without getting sick. This 4-Step Detox Plan is powerful, simple and inexpensive. But before I get into the nuts and bolts of this method, here’s a little glance at my background…
After quitting heroin over three years ago, I made it my life’s mission and purpose to help other opiate abusers recover from addiction.
I went on to become a Substance Abuse Counselor at an Opiate Treatment Program (OTP) where I helped many individuals recover from heroin addiction. I left that job over a year ago to start my own business in opiate addiction recovery.
Most of my work time is spent researching and writing about all of the most powerful and effective strategies for quitting heroin and other opioids. I have dedicated my life to studying every aspect of opiate withdrawal and recovery, and as a result, I’ve become an expert on the subject.
This plan, “How to Quit Heroin Without Getting Sick”, is the result of my greatest findings.
If you follow this plan to the best of your ability, you can expect to reduce up to 80-100% of your withdrawal symptoms from quitting heroin “cold-turkey.”
Table of Contents
- 1 Step 1: Go Shopping
- 2 Step 2: Follow the Protocol
Step 1: Go Shopping
If you want to quit heroin without getting sick, you’ll first need to purchase five essential items. If you skip even one of these items, the strength of your detox plan will be diminished. I developed this method based on the power of synergy, so there is a huge amplification of benefits from using all of these strategies together. This magic combination works fantastically well, so please consider this before deciding to leave something out.
To get off heroin without getting sick, you’ll need to purchase:
Note: You can purchase everything but the Elimidrol at a store near you. Upon writing this, Elimidrol is only available through ordering on their website. Sodium ascorbate is a form of Vitamin C. It can be purchased at most vitamin or health food stores, and you should be able to find the DL-Phenylalanine there as well. Loperamide HCL is the generic version of Imodium AD. It’s sold almost everywhere (grocery stores, convenient stores, Wal Mart, etc). You can purchase Imodium AD if you like, but it’s much more expensive, and the generic is the exact same thing.
Items #1 & 2 – Sodium Ascorbate & Fruit Juice
A few weeks ago I wrote an article titled:
I strongly suggest that you read it because the main component in this plan consists of mega-dosing with Vitamin C in the form of sodium ascorbate. However, this article is a little different…because I’ve altered it to reduce even more withdrawal symptoms! I’m always looking for ways to improve my at-home detox plans, and this one will be the most powerful remedy for a cold-turkey heroin withdrawal yet.
Mega-dosing Vitamin C has been shown in several studies to significantly reduce the majority of opiate withdrawal symptoms. In the article I linked to above, I refer to a study using these mega-dosing protocols that allowed chronic I.V. heroin addicts with severe addictions to have mild detoxes. If you really want to know how to quit heroin without getting sick, Vitamin C is the way to go!
- Vitamin C might block the neuromodulatory response of opioid receptors to opioid drugs like heroin, morphine, oxycodone, etc.
- In vitro studies have shown that high concentrations of Vitamin C may inhibit the endogenous opioid degrading metalloenzyme and increase endorphin levels.
Note: The fruit juice this plan calls for will be used to mix with the sodium ascorbate powder. The powder tastes gross mixed with water, and the juice covers up the nasty flavor quite well (though it still tastes bad). Feel free to use any type of juice you like.
Item #3 – Opiate Withdrawal Supplement
Opiate Withdrawal Formula is a very powerful opiate withdrawal supplement that is specifically designed to help people get off heroin and other opiates without getting sick. It contains a synergistic blend of herbs, amino acids, vitamins, minerals and other nutrients that have been shown to be effective at reducing symptoms due to quitting heroin and other opioid drugs.
When people ask me how to get off heroin without getting sick, this is one of the remedies I always mention. Combined with the mighty power of Vitamin C, this Opiate Withdrawal Supplement can absolutely help you quit heroin without getting sick.
Item #4 – Loperamide HCL
I strongly encourage you to read my detailed article:
Loperamide HCL is the drug in the over-the-counter anti-diarrhea medication called Imodium AD. Loperamide is beneficial because it acts as a mu opioid-agonist on the myenteric plexus of the large intestine. This is just a fancy way of saying loperamide has the same effects that opioids do on your stomach. Loperamide is a synthetic opioid, though it does not get you high. This is because Loperamide doesn’t act on the Central Nervous System (CNS).
In fact, a common misconception is that loperamide doesn’t cross the Blood-Brain Barrier (BBB). In reality, loperamide DOES cross this barrier, however, it gets IMMEDIATELY pumped back out into NON-CNS circulation. So to sum things up, loperamide is a synthetic opioid drug that doesn’t get you high (doesn’t stay in the brain), although it does have powerful opioid effects (constipating) on the large intestine.
I’ve added loperamide to this plan because mega-dosing with Vitamin C can cause bowel intolerance. Loperamide can stop diarrhea and prevent stomach cramps in a major way. The Vitamin C will ameliorate the majority of heroin withdrawal symptoms, and the loperamide counteracts the side-effect from mega-dosing.
Note: Some people have successfully used nothing but mega-dosing loperamide for quitting heroin without getting sick. Also, using Tagamet and grapefruit juice is believed by many to get loperamide across the BBB, and this method has been used by many to relieve withdrawal symptoms. Though my plan doesn’t involve these methods, it still uses loperamide…and combined with mega-dosing Vitamin C and the other supplements…it’s sure to give you all the withdrawal relief you ever dreamed of.
Item #5 – DL-Phenylalanine (DLPA)
If you really want to know how to quit heroin without getting sick, DLPA is the final component to my at-home detox plan. DLPA is a combination supplement consisting of both the D- and L- forms of the amino acid phenylalanine. The L- form is found in protein-rich foods, while the D- form is made synthetically in laboratories.
DLPA supplementation enables the body to produce massive amounts of the following mood-enhancing neurotransmitters:
Taking DLPA while quitting heroin can result in the following benefits:
- Reduction of cravings
- Reverses anxiety and depression
- Helps the body respond to physical and mental stress
- Fights fatigue and promotes natural energy production
- Improves sleep
I STRONGLY ENCOURAGE you to read my article on DLPA:
Note: I cannot say enough good things about DLPA. If you truly want to know how to get quit heroin without getting sick, this stuff is an awesome addition to the Vitamin C protocol. Furthermore, DLPA is the most important supplement to take to treat post-acute withdrawal symptoms over the next few months after quitting heroin. Taking DLPA on a daily basis for at least 30-90 days can help to reverse the brain chemistry imbalances heroin addiction either caused or exacerbated. Do yourself a favor and form a close bond with this wonderful supplement!
Step 2: Follow the Protocol
Okay, now that you’ve purchased the items off the “How to Quit Heroin Without Getting Sick” shopping list, you’re ready to follow the detox plan.
My detox plan consist of the following four phases:
- Loading – Days 1-3
- Mega-dosing – Days 4-6
- Restoration – Days 7-30
- Optimization – Days 31-90
Phase 1 – Loading
The first three days of the detox you will actually still be using heroin. While still taking heroin, you will be gradually increasing the amount of sodium ascorbate you take each day. This loading phase is extremely important. Since Vitamin C causes bowel intolerance at high doses, this loading phase will gradually build up your tolerance, that way on phase 2 you will handle the mega-dosing better.
The reason you’re using sodium ascorbate instead of the more common form of Vitamin C (ascorbic acid) is that it’s gentler on the stomach. You’ll be mixing the sodium ascorbate powder with diluted fruit juice.
Each cup of sodium ascorbate powder drink will contain the following:
- 3 ounces of water
- 3 ounces of fruit juice
- Sodium ascorbate powder (varying dosages)
Loading phase protocol:
- Day 1: First thing in the morning on an empty stomach take the Opiate Withdrawal Supplement. Drink 6 ounces sodium ascorbate juice (SAJ) containing 500-1,000 mg of sodium ascorbate (SA) every 2 hours until you go to sleep. Take 2,000 mg of DLPA an hour before lunch and again an hour before dinner. An hour before bedtime on an empty stomach, take the Opiate Withdrawal Supplement.
- Day 2: Take your Opiate Withdrawal Supplement. Drink SAJ with 1,000-2,5000 mg of SA every two hours until bedtime. Take 2,000 mg of DLPA an hour before lunch and again an hour before dinner. Take the Opiate Withdrawal Supplement before bed.
- Day 3: Take your Opiate Withdrawal Supplement. Drink SAJ with 5,000-7,5000 mg of SA every three hours until bedtime. Take 2,000 mg of DLPA an hour before lunch and again an hour before dinner. Take the Opiate Withdrawal Supplement before bed.
Note: Since everyone has varying levels of heroin addiction severity, there is no such thing as a “one size fits all” plan. However, this is a very good plan that can work for many people. Listen to your body. Make adjustments based on personal needs as they come up. If you get bowel intolerance, lower the dosage as needed. Also, the DLPA, like all amino acids, needs to be taken on an empty stomach.
Phase 2 – Mega-Dosing
You should take your last dose of heroin on day three of phase 1. Time it so you use just enough heroin to get you through the night…and wake up in withdrawal on day 4 of the detox, which is when the mega-dosing phase starts.
Though I didn’t include loperamide HCL on the protocol, use it as needed for bowel intolerance due to mega-dosing with sodium ascorbate. You can use anywhere from 12-100 mg of loperamide HCL per day as deemed necessary. Anywhere above approximately 20-30 mg is considered “mega-dosing”.
While this plan doesn’t focus on that, know that this is an available option for you if you feel like you need it. The supplements and sodium ascorbate should be WAY STRONG ENOUGH. I just thought I would inform you of this option if you want to “overdo it” just to make sure you get off heroin without getting sick.
Note: You might still get bowel intolerance with the loperamide. On the protocol, the trick is to take just enough sodium ascorbate to stop withdrawal. If you get bowel intolerance, you can ease up on the dosage. Experiment with it. Soon you’ll get in the “zone” and find the perfect dosing protocol for your individual needs.
Mega-dosing phase protocol:
- Day 4: Begin withdrawal. Take the Opiate Withdrawal Supplement. Drink SAJ with 2,500-5,000 mg SA every two hours until bedtime. Take 2,000 mg of DLPA an hour before lunch and again an hour before dinner. Take the Opiate Withdrawal Supplement before bed. If symptoms occur during the night, drink SAJ with 2,500-5,000 mg SA every two hours until symptoms subside.
- Day 5: Take the Opiate Withdrawal Supplement. Drink SAJ with 1,000-2,5000 SA every two hours until bedtime. Take 2,000 mg of DLPA an hour before lunch and again an hour before dinner. Take your Opiate Withdrawal Supplement before bed. If symptoms occur during the night, drink SAJ with 1,000-2,5000 mg SA every two hours until symptoms subside.
- Day 6: Take the Opiate Withdrawal Supplement. Drink SAJ with 1,000-2,5000 SA every two hours until bedtime. Take 2,000 mg of DLPA an hour before lunch and again an hour before dinner. Take the Opiate Withdrawal Supplement before bed. If symptoms occur during the night, drink SAJ with 1,000-2,5000 mg SA every two hours until symptoms subside.
Note: Again, use this protocol as an outline for your own plan. It may work very well for you, or you may need to reduce or even increase the sodium ascorbate dosages. If the DLPA makes you too jittery, skip the evening dose.
Phase 3 – Restoration
Starting on day 7 you will begin the restoration phase. At this point, the main heroin detox is over. Now you will be focusing on alleviating the post-acute withdrawal symptoms. Now that you’ve learned how to quit heroin without getting sick. it’s time to continue taking supplements to restore health to your mind and body.
In phase 3, you will only be taking two supplements:
- Opiate Withdrawal Supplement
Restoration phase protocol:
- Days 7-30: Continue taking the Opiate Withdrawal Supplement using the previous guidelines. Continue taking DLPA using the previous guidelines. Start exercising and eating healthier.
Note: Exercise and a healthy diet, combined with your supplements, can totally transform your biochemistry. The main reason most heroin abusers relapse so soon after quitting heroin is that they feel horrible (mentally and physically). By quickly designing a healthy lifestyle, you’ll prevent the severe post-acute symptoms from ever surfacing.
Phase 4 – Optimization
It’s one thing to ask me how to quit heroin without getting sick. But there is also an equally important question that needs to be addressed. What does one do to stay clean without cravings and feel happy in life without heroin?
Ahhhhhh…the million dollar question! Phase 4 is VERY important. If you do a good job here, you should feel energized and happy. Also, you should be sleeping well and not experiencing many (if any) cravings. But do a poor job or skip phase 4, and you risk having to start the vicious cycle of addiction all over again.
Phase 4 is responsible for optimization of the following:
- Psychological health
- Physical health
Optimization phase protocol:
- Days 31-90: Continue taking DLPA daily. Adjust dose as needed. At a minimum, take 500 mg, two times per day. At maximum, take 2,000 mg, three times per day. I also recommend taking a multi-vitamin/mineral supplement one time daily with food, and 1-4 cups of organic tulsi peppermint tea during phase 4. Exercise 3x per week or more. Walking, jogging, swimming, weight-training, yoga, gardening, riding a bicycle and other forms of exercise will help you considerably. Eating a clean and healthy diet is also of paramount importance.
How to Quit Heroin Without Getting Sick: Questions?
I absolutely love helping people get off heroin and other opiates. If you have any questions at all, please post them in the comment box below. Whether you have questions about the protocol, any of the supplements…or anything else related to opiate addiction, I’m happy and eager to assist you in any way I can. Click here now to view my best home detox program.
Okay…that about wraps up this article. Good luck! Now that you know how to quit heroin without getting sick, I hope you’ll set a quit date and follow this protocol.