In this article, I’m going to teach you how to get off methadone without withdrawal. Methadone is one of the most powerful drugs known to man. Most individuals have a difficult time coming off this medication due to the intense withdrawal symptoms they experience.
These symptoms can often last for weeks to months, and as a result, many people get back on methadone to end their suffering. Luckily, there is no need to suffer anymore. What if I told you there was a way to get off methadone (even if you’ve been on a high dose for many years) without experiencing these horrific withdrawal symptoms? Would this information be valuable to you?
If you really want to know how to get off methadone without withdrawal, continue reading, and you’ll start to smile big as you enjoy learning about this natural and powerful method I’ve created for you.
My Background with Methadone
I used to be addicted to prescription opiates, then switched to heroin when pills become too expensive and difficult to obtain. I had quit pills several times with medications and natural methods, but heroin was a strong addiction, so I decided to try methadone.
I used 40 mg of methadone tablets daily prescribed by my doctor for the first eight days off heroin, then decided to just stop. I made that decision because I had a friend who told me methadone was very hard to come off after being on it for awhile; and since I also had bottles of prescribed Valium and clonidine, and I had no job at the time, it seemed like as good of a time as any to finally rid my body of opiates.
I ended up having a pretty easy time coming off methadone, and I’ve been clean ever since. I decided to dedicate my life to helping people recover from opiate addiction, and I went on the become a counselor at a methadone clinic, where I helped many patients learn how to get off methadone without withdrawal.
How to Get Off Methadone Without Withdrawal
While medications such as benzos and clonidine can significantly help people come off methadone, I realize these can be difficult to obtain, since doctors often will not prescribe them. Fortunately, my method for getting off methadone without withdrawal is much safer, and in my opinion, even more powerful.
I’m a Certified Advanced Food-Based Healer with a specialty in nutrition and supplementation for opiate withdrawal and recovery, so my program for coming off methadone is based on natural remedies and orthomolecular medicine.
If you’re sick and tired of being trapped on this medication, the following seven step formula will teach you how to get off methadone without withdrawal. This method is safe, natural, and extremely effective if done properly.
Step 1: Start Tapering Methadone
Tapering is systematically reducing the amount of methadone you take over a period of time. The length of the methadone tapering schedule should take into consideration many criteria.
The two main factors are:
- The amount of methadone you are currently taking, and how long you’ve been on that dose.
- How long you’ve been on methadone for.
Slow tapers have been shown to be more successful than rapid tapers.
According to the presenting doctors at a conference call put on by the Center for Disease Control and Prevention, the following methadone tapering guideline was used as an example:
- Decrease by increments of 10% of your daily dose every 1-2 weeks until you reach 1/3 of the original dose. At that point begin tapering methadone at half the previous rate.
This is generally a good method to use, however, many other methadone tapering schedules will also provide good results.
I also recommend you follow the guidelines below:
- Don’t go faster than 5 mg per week.
- A reduction in the rate of methadone tapering should be considered when reaching 20 mg.
- Tapering should be stopped or reversed if you experience significant withdrawal symptoms.
Note: Eventually you will get to a place that I call your “threshold”. The threshold is the point in your taper where you start to notice significant withdrawal symptoms. For most of my patients this was around 20-40 mg, though for some it was even higher. If you really want to know how to get off methadone without withdrawal, steps 2-7 are the nuts and bolts of my method.
Step 2: Start Taking the “Morning Tonic”
Once you reach your threshold, stop your taper for two weeks. If you need to increase your dose by 5 mg to feel better, I encourage you to do so. During the next two weeks start drinking the “Morning Tonic” upon rising everyday. This beverage will supercharge you with energy and happiness, and most importantly, it will help your body adapt to the stress that lowering your methadone dosage is causing.
The Morning Tonic consists of the following:
- Shen Nong’s Ginseng – A root that helps the body adapt to physical and mental stress.
- Raw Reishi – A mushroom that acts as a powerful mood booster.
- MacaForce – Boosts the endocrine system, promotes natural energy production, and increases libido.
- Good Belly Big Shot 50 – A probiotic drink that boosts digestion and enhances immune function.
To make the Morning Tonic:
- Pour 4 ounces of water into a glass.
- Add 3 full droppers of Shen Nong’s Ginseng.
- Add 3 full droppers of Raw Reishi.
- Add 1 Good Belly probiotic drink.
- Add 1 tablespoon MacaForce.
- Mix it all together and drink tonic first thing in the morning on an empty stomach.
Step 3: Start Eating an Endorphin-Building Diet
Whenever patients of mine asked me how to get off methadone without withdrawal, I would encourage them to eat plenty of high quality protein foods. Consuming at least 20-30 grams of protein three times per day can radically increase your endorphins and other mood enhancing chemicals in the brain.
The following dietary guidelines can help you get off methadone without withdrawal symptoms:
- Eat plenty of chicken, fish, turkey, beef and other high quality proteins (free-range, organic and wild caught are best).
- Drink plenty of water (half your body weight in ounces per day).
- Consume lots of fresh fruits, veggies and healthy fats.
- Eliminate or decrease sugar, processed foods and refined carbohydrates.
- Eat as many organic whole foods as possible.
Step 4: Start Exercising
This is an important ingredient to getting off methadone without withdrawal symptoms. If you do every other step I’ve outlined and pass on exercising, you might still experience some mild symptoms. I’ve designed this plan based on the power of synergy, so there is a huge amplification of benefits by doing everything together.
Exercise can help you come off methadone because it:
- Improves mood
- Boosts endorphins (natural painkillers)
- improves sleep
- Reduces pain (both physical and emotional)
- Promotes well-being
- Reverses anxiety
- Reverses depression
- Increases energy
- Improves physique
- Boosts confidence
Step 5: Start Taking an Opiate Withdrawal Supplement
The previous steps will help you taper down to a low dose of methadone without withdrawal. These next three steps are designed to help you get off methadone completely. Once you taper down to a point where you start to experience withdrawal symptoms, start taking an opiate withdrawal supplement. These are natural supplements specifically designed to decrease withdrawal symptoms from methadone and other opiates.
Here are some of the main benefits from taking an opiate withdrawal formula to come off methadone:
- Enhances mood
- Eases stomach discomfort
- Increases natural energy
- Calms anxiety
- Restores dopamine production quickly
- Reverses depression
- Reverses insomnia and helps you get more restorative sleep
I HIGHLY RECOMMEND taking the following opiate withdrawal formula:
Step 6: Start Taking Kratom
On the very first day you come off methadone, start taking kratom. This plant is a member of the coffee family, but more importantly, it’s a powerful opioid agonist. This means that it mimics the effects of opiates, which makes it extremely helpful to consume while coming off methadone.
Take 9-10 grams of kratom powder in a glass of grapefruit juice 20 minutes after you consume your Morning Tonic everyday for 1-2 weeks after coming off methadone. You can take more throughout the day as needed, just make sure you wait a few hours after eating, as this helps with the absorption.
Note: The grapefruit juice acts a “potentiator”, meaning it makes the kratom more powerful than with water or other types of juice. Discontinue kratom after 1-2 weeks of usage, as this plant can become addictive, and people have gone through bad withdrawal symptoms from taking it for too long. Kratom is legal in the United States and every other country except Australia, Burma, Malaysia and Thailand.
Step 7: Start doing Qigong
Qigong is an ancient Chinese form of exercise that is extremely helpful for coming off methadone without withdrawal. It is similar to tai chi, in that it involves the use of deep breathing, slow, meditative movements, and stillness of the mind. According to an addiction study involving 86 male heroin addicts in the People’s Republic of China, qigong was shown to be more effective at decreasing heroin withdrawal symptoms than withdrawal medications.
The men were 18-52 years of age, and all met the substance dependence criteria of the Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders, with a history of heroin use from .5 to 11 years. The participants were placed into three groups: qigong group, medication group, and no-treatment control group.
The qigong group practiced qigong and received qi adjustments from a qigong master daily. The medication group received a 10-day reduction of the detoxification drug lofexidine-HCL. The control group only received basic care and medications to treat the most severe withdrawal symptoms.
The results from the study were staggering:
- Reduction in withdrawal symptoms occurred faster in the qigong group.
- The qigong group had lower anxiety scores than the other groups.
- By day 5 of treatment everyone in the qigong group had negative urine tests, compared to day 9 for the medication group and day 11 for the control group.
Note: To do qigong while coming off methadone, check out this qigong dvd. It has two easy routines (morning and evening), and combined with the other tips I’ve given you, this should be all you need to get off Methadone safely with ease.
Click here now to view my best home detox program. If you have any questions on how to get off methadone without withdrawal, please don’t hesitate to leave it in the comment box below.
Latest posts by Matt Finch (see all)
- Opiate Withdrawal Symptoms (& The Top 20 Things That Can Help) - October 21, 2017
- How To Use Kava and Kratom Together (A Review of Kava vs Kratom) - October 20, 2017
- Opiate Withdrawal Medications: Top 10 Medications THAT WORK - October 19, 2017